Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Testing the Taste

How about Murg Mughlai with Cranberry sauce..?? or Petit pois Ala Flamande with Nariyal Chutney..? Well, certainly u won't try out such weird combinations.. hehe .. but definitely you would like to try out some dishes with a NO-MATCH accompaniment.. may be just to try out, or for any other reason.
In my case, I actually don't try it but make others try. My family and the relatives who have tasted my dishes had a common thing : their response after having the dish..lol . When they start to swallow up the bite.. their facial expressions explain everything. Neither they can complaint, nor they want to say that its complicated.. he he.. They might be liking the dish but certainly not as much wherein they could just jump out of the seat to congratulate and say.. " wah!! kya cheez banai hai"
     Its probably because of the kind of dessert which they get to eat after the kind of meal they had. What would you expect from a person who likes to have ''desi daal-roti'', if hes been given choux pastry as ''meetha'' after the maincourse. He would certainly like to screw you up or yell out some nice desi muhavare aur shlok(refers to the evergreen gaaliyaan)  for spoiling his taste. This is the problem which I face when I make dishes at my home.On one side, I try to find the accuracy to match the characteristic taste of a dish, but on the other, I miss out on the tastes and preferences of the people who are going to have it. And ofcourse, why would they like to have mousses.. strudel.. tarts.. and all. I can't blame them for this because they have developed a taste in which they like to have traditional Indian Desserts. But I prepare the basic desserts of the Pastry Section, in the strive for becoming one of the Best Pastry Chefs ever. And so, I would not like to take this blame of creating products which they don't like because I have my own desired results which I aim for, while making the product.Well, I said earlier that the desserts are 'Complicated' .. because they don't actually match the taste of the maincourse. With a regular Indian thaali, if you serve a Strawberry Pavlova instead of Gajar Ka halwa, then ofcourse no one would like this combination.
      But, after much of dislikes and "have no taste for" Facial expressions.. somehow I found out a way.. to get both the tasks done.. getting the accuracy & impressing the one who have it. I tried out Baba au Rhum in our desi way.. wherein I soaked the Baba in the Sugar syrup flavoured with Kewra water..lol..also, I explained the very rich, and one of my favourite dessert Baklava as the Indian Chandrakala or Balushai. I prepared Veg Wellington with the Aloo parantha filling and described it as a new shape of the patties. To add one more.. I prepared Conversations( a puff pastry product ) with the filling of dry fruits and nuts, rather than the actual Pastry Cream. This is how I got my " wah!! kya cheez banai hai"!!
                            
So, the gist is that there is some point which you need to strike.. which would give you an idea to make a balance. I got it.. after much of trying out.. created something new.. in a traditional way.. and am happy about it.   So.. Keep Going on!! and diversis.cogitare!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment